Peanut Butter is health food. Who thought that a few years ago? Perhaps because the name includes ‘butter’ a misconception of high fat and unhealthy (waist) spread came about? Peanut Butter is great for you – especially if you make it yourself. This recipe comes spiced up with extra health kicks as Turmeric, Chilli and Cinnamon has its very own health promoting properties. A food processor and 8 minutes are all you need. This Peanut Butter recipe can be varied indefinitely so let your taste buds guide you – and let us know how it came out 🙂
Peanut Butter – Health Properties
It may sound weird that Peanut Butter can be used for a healthy diet. One serving (2 table spoons) has approx 180 calories per serving. While that might sound high to you, it is packed with goodness. A healthy combination of 2 g of fiber, 8 g of protein, 3 mg of the antioxidant vitamin E, 49 mg of magnesium (bone-building must), 208 mg of potassium (key for muscles), and 0.17 mg of vitamin B6 (antioxidant). Add to that its slow-burning qualities, which makes you feel energetic and full for many hours.
Peanut Butter – Perfect Start or Snack
Peanut Butter is a perfect snack and highly recommended for an early morning start. Spread Peanut Butter on Pumpernickel Bread, and pack it to go on a long trip. Place 2 table spoons of Peanut Butter in the bottom of a jar, add celery sticks or carrots – screw on the lid. You now have a perfect health combo for a mid morning or afternoon snack. Kids love it, as do adults, right?
Peanut Butter – Spicy or Sweet?
Peanut Butter is much better if you make it yourself using a good food processor. The shop-bought kind is often full of added sugars, and additives that lower the health properties, and the overall taste. When you make Peanut Butter yourself, you can add exactly what you like. I prefer to spice mine up and eat it on home made Nordic Crisp Bread. Might you want to make it sweeter? You choose what you like, and this recipe can be varied indefinitely.
Peanut Butter – Spiced Up Recipe
- 1 Food Processor
- 500 grams Peanuts (of which at least 250 grams unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (optional)
- Take out your Food Processor and install with the biggest blade.
- Roast your peanuts in a preheated oven (200 Celcius) if you prefer to add the spices. In this case sprinkle your Cinnamon, Turmeric and Chilli powder over the peanuts and cook until golden (ca 3 min).
- Add 400 grams Peanuts (with spices or not - you decide) to your food processor and clamp on the lid. You will reserve 100 grams if you prefer crunchy - see below.
- Set your processor to the manual setting half way (mine goes from 0 - 10 = setting 5)
- Let the food processor do its job, as the peanuts will break down from ground 'flour' to finally release its fats. This takes approx 4 minutes. Continue for another 3 min.
- At this stage - push stop and push down the smooth peanut butter along the sides. If you like smooth peanut butter stop here - OR -
- Add the 100 grams of reserved peanuts to make crunchy peanut butter- and set the food processor to pulse for max 3 - 5 seconds.
- Scrape your peanut butter into jars and refrigerate.
- TIP: Take out an apple, slice it and scrape the sides of the food processor - Eat! 🙂 Yum!
- This peanut butter recipe can be varied indefinitely, and if you like it sweeter simply add honey and / or raisins to the almost finished batch and pulse it in. You can of course add your own other favourite spices too - the above is my current ultimate go-to version. Enjoy!
If you like more articles about a healthy lifestyle and how to Feel, Be and Do Good – every day and working (far) away feel free to join our mailing list here below.
Subscribe to Newsletter and More
Inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good