Recipe for saffron fish and spring vegetables with a healthy new take. A modern spin on an old classic – Saffron Infused Fish Fillet, Carrots with Pistachio Pesto, Peas with Lemon and Mint, and grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Vinegar. It takes 30 minutes to get fish and vegetables that everyone will rave about.
Recipe for Fish and Vegetables – Spring into Health
As the rain came down on Easter Sunday, this recipe started to come about. The first part of the three vegetables was the carrots in pistachio pesto. The lemon minted peas had been the original idea, but the fish in saffron was simply because the favour combination of pistachio, mint and lemon needed a partner of warming scented indulgence.
This is a recipe for success if you have guests, or want to indulge yourself. The herbs and spices flirt with the warmth and sweetness of the Middle East and you can be sure of the health boosting freshness that you are about to experience. If you prefer Chicken or Vegetarian alternatives check below for suggestions. This is for your spring health inspiration, so feel free to vary and change according to what you have at home and prefer. Enjoy!
Recipe for Fish and Vegetables – A New Take
- 1 Fish fillet
- 1 Saffron sachet
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 4 Carrots (small)
- 50 gram shelled Pistachio nuts
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 100 gram Peas (frozen)
- 1/2 small onion or 1 shallot
- 1 Lemon
- 5 Mint sprigs
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 4 Asparagus
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Set Oven to 200 degrees (Celcius)
- Mix saffron sachet with olive oil, and let fish infuse until you have prepared the vegetables (approx 10 minutes).
- Place Fish on grease proof paper in the oven. Cooking time 8 - 10 minutes (max) until just done and glistening of saffron gold warmth.
- Chop your carrots and set aside
- Take 50 g of shelled pistachio nuts and place in food processor, or in a high container for a handheld processor action. Let the machine take care of the breaking down of the nuts until they release their own fats and transform into nut butter. When the pistachio nut butter is ready add olive oil until you get a smooth green nutty pesto.
- Steam carrots for 5 - 8 minutes. They should still have 'give' when you bite into them.
- Just before serving add your pistachio pesto to the steaming carrots. Turn so all carrots are coated.
- Grate the peel of 1 Lemon. You will need the peel for this recipe, and the lemon juice can be squeezed into a glass of goodness for your pleasure later.
- Steam your peas with the onion for 5 minutes until just done and still bright green in colour.
- Add lemon peel cut into small bits, mint sprigs and olive oil to the steaming peas and serve.
- Peel your asparagus, and snap off the harder end core.
- Place the asparagus on the same grease proof paper as the fish (see above), and sprinkle balsamic vinegar.
- Grill the asparagus for same time as fish, and take them out when they look slightly charred and are softish to the touch.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Plan the cooking so all is served at the same time. I normally first put the fish and asparagus into the oven, and then steam the carrots, followed soon after by the peas. When the fish is out of oven and resting, I quickly mix the pistachio pesto into the carrots; lemon and mint into the peas and then serve it all onto one platter. This recipe is made for one - and you can double, triple or quadruple according to need. Enjoy!
If you need to convert from metric use this link: Kitchen Cooking Converter
If you like this recipe, why not subscribe to The GOODista and get updates, recipes, and inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good every week?
Did you get inspired? Let us know!
Subscribe to Newsletter and More
Inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good