Aubergine instead of pasta layers, with a feta and parmesan light coating together with spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, and onion. A perfect oven baked vegetarian dish, that took no time at all to prepare – and only 20 minutes in the oven. Dinner done, and enough to freeze for several more during the cold winter months. Try it, eat it, freeze it! Let us know what you think 🙂
Aubergine Recipe: Autumn Vegetable Harvest
The last harvest of autumn vegetables inspired me to think in terms of a dish that could be frozen for the mid-week dinners in the cold months to come. I love picking vegetables, and making dishes to freeze. Taking them out mid winter brings back the sun and lazy hot summer afternoons in the italian countryside.
This aubergine recipe does the same for me. I played around with a name for it. It’s not a Lasagna – as my dish has no meat, nor béchamel sauce. Nor is it Moussaka – as this recipe has no potatoes – or ‘Melanzane alla Parmigiana‘ for that matter – again no béchamel or mozzarella in my take on this. This recipe draws inspiration from them all, but Aubergiana, Aubersagne and Auberssaka sounded too contrived so I stuck with ‘good-old’ Aubergine Oven Bake Recipe:) Enjoy It!
- 2 Aubergine
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 small Carrots
- 2 Onions
- 500 g Spinach (fresh)
- 3-4 Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 Chilli (optional)
- 100 g Feta Cheese
- 50 g Parmesan Cheese (Real Parmeggiano is best!)
- 2 TSP of Olive oil
- Thyme, Salt and Peppar to taste
- Set Oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Take out an oven proof dish and swipe it with 1 Table spoon of Olive oil (even less as long as all sides, and bottom gets coated)
- Slice the Aubergines length wise, and place them on a plate and sprinkle salt on top so liquid seeps out.
- Chop Onions, Carrots, Zucchini and Tomatoes and place them in a bowl with 1 Table spoon of Olive oil, Thyme, Salt, Pepper, Crushed Garlic and Chilli.
- Toss the Vegetables in the bowl so they all get coated with Olive Oil etc.
- Place 1 layer of Aubergine in an oven proof dish, and add a thin layer of fresh Spinach. The next layer will be 1/3 of the other vegetables.
- Sprinkle a 1/3 of your grated or crumbled feta to coat.
- Continue building your layers until you remain with a top layer of Aubergine - and now add the last of your Feta and Parmeggiano Cheese (only use Parmesan on the very top of dish).
- Place your dish in the preheated oven and wait for 20 minutes - until golden and 'bubbly'.
- Serve desired portions on top of rocket or other green leafed salad.
- Top Tip: Freeze easy dish - make ahead and warm up for mid-week dinners 🙂
Do you like the recipes on The GOODista? Feel free to contribute yours, and get them published!
You can Follow The GOODista by signing up here below for Feel, Be and Do Good news and updates.
Subscribe to Newsletter and More
Inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good