Vegetable stuffed peppers are a go-to meal every season. The sweetness of the pepper heightens the stuffing. This is a healthy version filled with mediterranean vegetables, lentils, spinach and topped with feta cheese (optional). The word healthy doesn’t have to mean boring. Oh No! This recipe is jam-packed with flavour that sings of a warm summers’ day. Try the recipe and tell us what you think. Did you come up with your own version? Great! Recipes are meant to inspire, just like the seasonal vegetables that talked to me when this recipe came about.
If you like weekly inspiration for your healthy lifestyle changes – sign up to our free newsletter here:
Vegetable Stuffed Peppers – Recipe
This easy recipe takes no time to make, and while many other stuffed vegetable pepper recipes require longer to prepare – this one is a simper version that works for the busy person who wants to eat clean food, but doesn’t have time to wait to hang around.
My husband prefers meat, so we often cook different foods every night. He cooks his dinner, and I do mine. When this dish came out of the oven – Hey! Presto the vegetarian dinner became the preferred option for both of us. Try it! 🙂
- Set Oven to 220 degrees Celcius
- 1 Yellow or Red Large Pepper cut length wise and deseeded
- 50 gram of Spinach - uncooked to place your pepper on when ready
- 2 Cherry Tomatoes to add on the side when dish is ready
- 1/2 Cucumber to add on the side when dish is ready
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil to drizzle on top
- 1 dash of Balsamic Vinegar for final flurry on top
- 50 gram lentils - pre-cooked or from a tin
- 100 gram spinach - cut smallish
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 mild chilli pepper (optional)
- 1 small Aubergine
- 1 medium Zucchini
- 1 large Onion
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of Basil - fresh or 2 teaspoons of dried
- 50 gram Feta Cheese (optional)
- Set Oven to 220 degrees Celcius
- Mix the spinach, tomatoes, cucumber with salt (to taste but go easy!), and set this aside until dish (below) comes out of oven. The green mix will be used to serve your warm pepper on later.
- Take an oven prof dish and lightly oil it - set aside.
- Chop onion, aubergine, zucchini and tomatoes into smallish pieces. Add chilli and crushed garlic.
- Lightly drizzle them with Olive Oil and add to a frying pan on medium heat.
- Stir though your vegetable mix, and when they are translucent add salt, pepper and basil.
- Add lentils and spinach leaves (cut into smallish pieces). Cook until incorporated well with the vegetables (about 3 minutes). If needed add some water to liquify, and taste it off with salt, pepper and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
- Spoon the stuffing into the pepper halves and place in oven proof dish.
- Add the Feta Cheese if you opt to use.
- Leave for approx 20 minutes or until pepper looks 'bubbly' and Feta browned.
- Place one pepper half on each plate on the baed of green mix you prepared (see above).
- Bon Apetit!
- You can vary this recipe according to what you have at home, and what is in season. The lentils and spinach are core stuffing ingredients that work well with all vegetables. This is such a versatile way to create a simple, yet elegant vegetarian dinner (or lunch). Enjoy!
Vegetable Stuffed Peppers: Picture Guide
Here is what the process looks like in pictures:
Healthy Eating Inspiration
We hope you enjoyed this recipe. Check out the other great healthy cooking tips and recipes on The GOODista by clicking on this image:
Thanks for your comments, share and follows and do subscribe if you wish to have weekly updates on how to Feel, Be and Do Good. (sign up below)
Please tell us what you think 🙂 – Comment Here or on FaceBook:
Subscribe to Newsletter and More
Inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good