Everyday exercise is as important as eating healthier foods. The key to everyday exercise is to get into a move groove. Habits form from doing something every day. A real lifestyle change is successful with a step by step approach. The move groove way to everyday exercise comes with a bonus: You are already on your way by being just as you are.
Are you motivated? Your ‘ New You‘ will crave spending its newfound energy on activities which are as fun as they are good for you. Read on to figure out how you can improve on your move groove — the easy way to get your exercise every day. Remember: I’M Possible!
Everyday Exercise: Why?
You know that exercise is good for you, but it seems like such a mountain to climb, doesn’t it? You are already trying to eat better, and by incorporating more fruit and vegetables it should have the desired effect on health (and weight?). Sure… However the truth is: It is a whole sale deal, where you cannot choose one without the other.
You may have tried a health kick before and not stayed on course. The overall impact of getting into a healthier way of life doesn’t come in parts. You need to think of this as a total restoration where every part of you needs to get addressed. Eating healthier is a great start but, you need to move as well.
Want inspiration, tips, and tools in your in-box? Subscribe
Everyday Exercise: 7 Fitness Facts
Exercise makes you feel better, have more energy and perhaps even live longer. The health benefits of regular everyday exercise and physical activity are hard to ignore. It isn’t as hard as you think. You can move every day regardless of age, sex or physical ability.
Why Everyday Exercise Is Good
Here are some reasons and facts why exercise is good for you:
Exercise combats health conditions and diseases. Regular physical activity can help you prevent or manage a wide range of health problems and concerns, including stroke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, depression, certain types of cancer, arthritis and falls. Heart disease and high blood pressure are helped by being active. Everday exercise boosts high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good,” cholesterol and decreases unhealthy triglycerides. This keeps your blood flowing smoothly, which decreases your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
#2 Healthy Weight
Exercise controls weight. To stay healthy, it is better to avoid excess weight. When you move, you burn calories and the more intensely the physical activity is, the more you burn. The good thing is that every move we do helps the calorie burn. Everyday house chores is an excellent start, and a walk will increase this further. Keep on reading to find how surprisingly little time you need to get everyday exercise in.
#3 Mood Booster
Exercise improves mood. A healthy body and mind is a system that is in balance. Exercise is a known way to improve your moods – and you can read more about this in this post: How To Beat The Mood Monster . Whether it is a stressful time at work (or at home) or something that is eating away at you – physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. Your confidence and self-esteem also gets boosted if you glow with the accomplishment of regular exercise.
Exercise boosts energy. The more you move, the more you are capable of doing everyday chores and activities. The energy that is built by everyday exercise allows for a happier you in every way. You have the energy to do more with less. The Mayo Clinic says: “Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy to go about your daily chores“.
#5 Promote Sleep
Exercise promotes better sleep. An active life needs good sleep to keep in check. A great way to get a healthier sleeping pattern is regular everday exercise. You will feel naturally tired, and the added oxygen helps deepen your sleep. As exercise gives you a natural ‘high’ it is however better not to exercise too close to your bedtime as that will have the opposite effect.
Exercise is a great way to meet people. By being part of an exercise group, or walking club you meet new people. They can become your friends, and perhaps even a new ‘special someone’. To allow yourself to unwind, and ‘have fun’, does great things to your body and mind. You are allowed to feel happy, healthy and simply enjoy!
Exercise can be your Me-time. Everyday exercise can become that special time that is just yours. Me-time is highly underestimated as a health benefit, yet so important! Here you can combine 2 healthier habits in one. You can have time to think, reflect and plan. And you get in you daily exercise ‘pill’. Hurrah! A walk by yourself will lift your spirits, health factor and give you precious calm in an otherwise hectic life. Try it! It works – I promise!
Everyday Exercise: How Much?
The UK National Health recommend: “To stay healthy, adults aged 19-64 should try to be active daily and should do: At least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity such as cycling or fast walking every week, and muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms)“.
The other way at looking at it is to aim to 10,000 steps per day, and 30 minutes of activity.
Everyday Exercise: What Kind?
You need to raise your heat beat in cardiovascular activities. Aerobic exercise such as walking , bicycling, swimming, running, household chores etc. all count.
Anaerobic or muscle strenghtening exercise is equally important, especially as you age. You can for example do Pilates, Strength training, Gardening, use Resistance Bands etc. to get you 2 – 3 weekly sessions in.
The best way is to take this into slices per day, and not make it such a chore that you give up. A piece a day, and a little addition every week will see you build up a fitness level you didn’t think possible! But – Hey! This is the year you are possible, right? My way is the Move Groove way.
Exercise Everyday: The Move Groove
The Move Groove is your way to have a slice of everday exercise that fits you. The goal is a healthier life. A lifestyle change does not happen over night. Therefore you cannot set your goals too high too soon.
Give up living to other people’s expectations, and set your own. You need to be kind to yourself, and understanding.
Your body may not be as ready, and used to moving, as your head says it should be. Make an appointment with a Doctor to get your overall health status checked and to build a basis for where you stand right now.
Take it slow. One day at a time. Your fitness level will be able to build slowly but surely – and if you give yourself patience, you will be rewarded by how much better you feel, gained health benefits and how much fun you are having. You will have found your Move Groove!
Tip: Check out our Coaching Services Learn More
Everyday Exercise Move Groove
The Move Groove means looking at your daily life in terms of what you do now, and what you can tweak. Your aim is to get in 30 minutes of movement everyday, and to use your everyday activities as part of your exercise plan. You need not enrol into a club, or buy fancy gear. Just get into a move groove way of thinking.
6 Ways to a Move Groove
- If you now get up at 7 am, can you make it 06:45? Those extra 15 minutes give you opportunity to get a proper breakfast, and then walk to the bus/train/around the block before getting to work.
- At lunchtime is it too much for you to take a walk around the office, or do some Pilates on the floor (Yes, a mat would be a good item to bring here) ? Bring a healthy lunch that includes rainbow foods, and enjoy 15-30 minutes of physical activity too. This will see you working so much more efficiently, with a clear head to focus on the tasks at hand. You may even make it back home earlier than before!
- When you get home, can you mow the lawn, take out the garbage, play with the kids or enjoy a fast walk around your block — rather than settling in with a glass of wine before dinner? I am sure you can.
- Can your weekend relax ( couch potato? ) session involve new activities such as gardening, muscle training, a trial gym session with a trainer (gets you into a better way of moving for your stamina and fitness level) or a long walk into the woods with family and friends? By breaking a few habits you will bring new air into your life – literally – and the overall health gain is huge.
- Making everyday activities into exercise doesn’t have to mean major change. It does mean making opportunities to exercise from your everyday activities and then to build on them! For example: instead of taking the elevator – walk up the stairs. Take the kids to school and add a walk before (or after). Do your household chores while dancing and lifting homemade weights (water bottle). Run to the train to get in your cardio. Stand up at your desk and walk around to a colleague to discuss instead of messaging.
- Treat yourself to a step counter, or fitness band to measure how many steps you take now – and try to increase as you add more exercise into your life. You will feel so proud of yourself. I did!
Everday Exercise: Healthy Lifestyle
Getting into a Move Groove is simply looking at how exercise can fit into your life, and making it a part of everyday activities. The opportunities for physical activity are everywhere, and include your household chores, walking to the office, running for the train and playing with kids.
You don’t necessarily have to change much – the point is to do something physical everyday for at least 30 minutes. This time you will make it. Lifestyle changes that last takes you into your New You in every way – and you can because this year your mission is to say: I ‘M Possible!
Be kind, Take it slow, Build your fitness one step at a time, get inspired by books, DVDs (check out some below). You can also follow The GOODista for tips and tools on how to make lifestyle changes for every day and work (far) away.
See you soon! Feel, Be and Do Good!
Recommended and Related:
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Exercise Everyday – HubPages.com
- Healthy Lifestyle Commitment: Your Partnership for Life – thegoodista.com
- Fulfilment At Any Age: 19 Reasons Why You Should Exercise – PsychologyToday.com
- Making Lifestyle Changes That Last – apa.org
Subscribe to Newsletter and More
Inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good