In winter you need warmth, comfort and energy when it comes to food. Try this vegetarian winter recipe(s) that delivers flavour, more-ish health wealth and whispers of summer all in one go. We are thrilled to share these vegetarian healthy recipes by guest contributor Simon Bush.
The vegetarian winter recipe collection will give you one dish, or several if your pallet so decides. You can enjoy stuffed mushrooms and spinach omelet on a bed of peperonata with parsnips chips as an elegant main dish with guests, or split the components to make several meals.
Read, share and comment and most of all: Enjoy!
Vegetarian Winter Recipe: Inspirational Simon
Vegetarian food in winter does need some thinking. This recipe for stuffed mushrooms with spinach omelet on a peperonata bed fires you up on all cylinders. If you crave warmth – it delivers. You want healthy? Of course! Nutritional content combined with contentedness? Yes!
Fighting Cancer: Lifestyle, Fitness and Cooking
Simon is an inspiration. He is a fitness fan, healthy lifestyle follower and fierce cancer fighter. Simon has shared his on-going battle in two previous posts on The GOODista:
Simon has had to let the running rest for the moment. Cancer is a fickle ‘friend’… Simon fights this darkness with everything he’s got by keeping fit, eating healthy, and inspiring others with positive thinking.
Cooking is his go-to enjoyment, and restorative me-time. His food is vegetarian, yummy and adventurously health wealthy. We are thrilled that he shares his recipes with us. Will you enjoy them? Oh yes!
Vegetarian Winter Recipe: One Elegant Dish or Several
This recipe is truly as inspiring as Simon himself. Every morsel is so full of flavour that you will want more. I highly recommend his take on stuffed mushrooms with spinach omelette on a peperonata bed. You can treat your guests to this full-on meal, or split the recipe in parts. Mix, match and most of all enjoy!
Are you inspired to get into your kitchen yet? Read on and you will be!
If you need conversion from metric: Cooking Conversion
Vegetarian Winter Recipe (s)
- 4 large mushrooms (each as big as a hand).
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 50 gram Hazelnuts - Roughly chopped
- 50 gram Walnuts - Roughly chopped
- 1/2 clove of Garlic
- 1 sprig of Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Truffle oil
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Optional: 1 glass of red wine, dried porcini flakes and a dollop of creme fraiche
- 500 gram Spinach
- 500 gram Swiss Chard
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 Eggs
- 20 gram Parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper - to taste
- 3 Bell peppers - Red ones work best
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Tomatos - Ripe ones
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Parsnips - medium
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Boil the sweet potato until soft. Peel and mash with knob of butter and parmesan.
- Sprinkle inside each mushroom with truffle oil.
- When sweet potato mix is cool press into mushroom around foot.
- Press bottom of each mushroom into nut mix so that each is well coated.
- Place on baking tray and pour over an optional glass of red wine with some dried porcini mushrooms.
- Bake for 45mins on 160 degrees celsius
- Boil 500g spinach and 500g swiss chard.
- When soft drain and wash in cold water.
- Once cool squeeze out water (I use cloth to ring as much water out as possible).
- Chop finely and season to taste
- Fry a small red onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add to spinach/chard mix and beat in 2 eggs handful together with grated parmesan salt pepper and some grated nutmeg.
- Slice peppers into thin strips
- Heat oil in small frying pan and fry peppers until soft on medium heat.
- Add onion and chopped tomato and more oil if needed.
- Cover and simmer until all vegetables are soft.
- Season to taste.
- Take the 2 medium size parsnips, peel them and cut into strips
- Pre heat a small roasting dish in oven (ca 160 degrees celsius) with olive oil
- Let the parsnips roast for 40 mins until golden brown.
- Place them on parchment paper to crisp up.
- Use as garnish (or snack)
- Start with 2 Tablespoonfuls of Peperonata in the centre of plate
- Place Omelette on top
- If you want to take a dollop of creme fraiche and 'plop' on omelet
- Balance the Stuffed Mushroom on top.
- Add the parsnip chips on top and one one side as an elegant final touch
- Spoon some of the mushroom wine sauce around side
- This can be enjoyed as one elegant dish with guests, or use each recipe individually to mix and match according to what you feel like.
Vegetarian Winter Recipe: Health is Wealth
Inspiration comes from many sources. Simon is one of mine. His strength of thought, positive spirit and energy makes me want to do more. On days when the sun is low, humidity creeps in and moods threaten the day – I think of how Simon fights every day. He uses all that he’s got — and more — to live a full life. Do you too have people that boost you? Let us know!
The food that brings us health comes from Mother Nature. The less you mess with it — the better. At The GOODista we’re always looking for recipes that bring us that feeling of yummy goodness – and ticks all the boxes for health wealth. If you have recipes to share let us know: Contact
Feel free to share this recipe collection of vegetarian winter recipe (s) – do also please comment to let Simon know how much you enjoyed his recipes. Feel welcome to join our mailing list for weekly inspiration from our healthy lifestyle blog.
Subscribe to Newsletter and More
Inspiration to Feel, Be and Do Good